M5 Stuart to M3 Honey Conversion.

stuart7

Phil Steele coined the “Pointless Conversion” phrase during one of his exemplary builds of an SU-122, observing that sometimes an apparently pointless project made sense. This conversion is one such as I already own a couple of perfectly servicable metal M3s with the later round cast turret. Phil brought a box of PSC M5s back with him from a show at my request. At the time of purchasing, I thought the spare hulls  would do nicely for the Western Desert and for Eastern Front Lend-lease. I knew that M3s were used, but didn’t realise that M5s were not, or that more importantly all three hull variations in the PSC kit were M5s. Bobbins!

Stuart1

Undaunted, I set about a pointless conversion. First of all the rear deck was cut off and reversed. Saw away the fuel tanks and save them, they will be needed later. I used a block of wood as the lower hull with the upper hull shimmed to get it level, and the tracks glued straight to the block.

stuart2

Next, the front glacis plate was chopped away. Card (plasti- or paper) was used to deck in the holes, and was trimmed level once it had set. I do most of this with scissors and a fresh sharp scalpel, obviating the need for much filler, although when this technique goes wrong, the bodges are more obvious.

stuart 3

The hull was reasonably straightforward to build up and a spare PSC T-34 fuel tank made the vertical exhaust chambers. The suitably chopped fuel tanks went back on in a reversed position, although looking at some of the desert pictures, square stowage boxes occupied these spots.

stuart4

stuart5

A cork core sheathed in card formed the frame for the turret. I ran the angles by eye, filing and slicing away until it ‘looked about right’ although it is probably a tad over scale. The PSC commander in beret deflected attention away from any deficiencies in this area. Wire from the bits bin made a gun and some Milliput will provide a mantlet.

stuart6

The conversion appears slightly too short in the hull, but I wanted it to fit in with my existing two metal M3s. Job done. I suppose I should paint it now instead of sending it Soviet-style into its first game wearing nothing but an undercoat. More to follow … painting and detail faff etc.

https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/2012/10/01/gazala-tank-strengths-cross-referenced/

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under 15mm Miniatures Wargames, 8th Army - British and Commonwealth, Modelling, tank, Western Desert, WWII

4 responses to “M5 Stuart to M3 Honey Conversion.

  1. Truly a conversion of breathtaking pointlessness – well done sir!

  2. Why thank you Tim, I’m touched :O)

  3. yesthatphil

    Fine recycling of a Flames of War blister pack card, though …

    🙂

Please Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s